Tuesday, April 7, 2009

I wish Real Estate was more like brain surgery

I live on a street that has many homes for sale. If you stand at the right angle you can see a row of Real Estate signs in each yard. Not ONE sign represents the same real estate company or the same Realtor.

I can't tell you how many times I have heard people say things like "Well, I am just going to go with this lady I know at my church" or "my brother's friend is a Realtor". Let's be honest, it doesn't take much to get your license. Sit in a class for two weeks and BOOM you're a Realtor!! Now, I am not downing the knowledge of some of us out there. I am also not trying to say that I am the most knowledgeable Realtor either. There are many Realtors who KNOW the market, contracts, mortgages, and even down the specific neighborhoods. There are many Realtors in my office that I have

I just wish it was a little harder to get into this profession. It isn't like you hear "I am just going to go with this lady at church who is a Neurosurgeon". Doctors are people that HAVE to know inside and out what they are doing. To some extent I think Real Estate should be the same. We are dealing with people's futures and finances... WE ARE DEALING WITH THEIR LIVES!!

I had a client who at the beginning told me "We decided to use this guy who we work with". That lasted for a month before they called me and asked if I would like to be their Realtor. They realized the importance of someone that does this full time.

It isn't the competition that bothers me. It is the fact that there are so many Realtors who took the two week class and BOOM they have a license to sell. The average home owner may not be able to tell the difference!!

If Real Estate was more like being a doctor then all of us would have to go to AT LEAST 4 years of college specifically dealing with the field. This would filter out the rest of us that were given a certificate after just being able to point out basic body parts. For those looking to buy or sell a home I would advice contacting the head surgeon ( Principle Broker) and asking if your Realtor of choice KNOWS THEIR STUFF!!

Stephen Strickhausen
www.NashvilleTNMLSsearch.com
www.sstrickhausen.com

No comments:

Post a Comment