Saturday, August 7, 2010

Should Realtors have to take the BAR exam?

"Real Estate is not just about driving around and looking at pretty houses." ~ Stephen Strickhausen


I am sure that most agents have learned that lesson from the beginning.


Real Estate is about protecting your clients. Real Estate is about being better than the next guy/girl. Real Estate is about education...


Just recently I got an offer on one of my listings. The buyer's agent is considered to be a top agent here in the Nashville area. The agent did a great job on negotiating and to be quite honest, tried to push us around. After all negotiations and binding agreement, then came the inspection period. This is where things got a little "shady".


My sellers were presented with the items to be repaired and in addition the sellers requested another $10,000 off the purchase price. YOU CANNOT DO THAT! You can however do the following;


1) Ask for items to be repaired

2) Ask for the seller to reduce the purchase price by the estimated amount of repair costs

3) A combination of the two


We refused to sign the inspection contingency removal form because "We were not presented with a legal Inspection Counter". Of course this went back and forth (VIA EMAIL) until the time had expired. I had even spoken to the agent's principle broker on the phone about the issue. Trust me, I was a little scared by this point. I thought that maybe they had found some loop hole that I was not able to catch.


I had kept ALL of the paperwork including all of the emails etc. This worked out to my advantage later...


To make a long story short, my clients sued for the EM PLUS the attorney fees, court costs, etc. WE WON !


The attorney that represented them said that I was "The most thorough agent he had ever worked with. To this day I am not sure where that money came from. I know that if I were a client and my agent had suggested me do something that backfired then I would request that money come from the agent's pocket.


When searching for a "good agent", not only do they need to know about the neighborhoods but they also need to know their stuff. A GREAT agent KNOWS the contracts and knows the rules and laws of real estate.



Stephen Strickhausen
KELLER WILLIAMS REALTY
9175 CAROTHERS PKY SUITE 110


615-778-1818


615-480-5770
Sstrickhausen@gmail.com
http://www.Sstrickhausen.com


Nashville Homes for sale



Nashville twitter nashville facebook Nashville short sales Nashville MLS search





Disclaimer:
Franklin Homes for Sale, Nashville homes for Sale, Nashville short sales, Nashville home search, Property in Brentwood TN, Franklin TN Real Estate, Franklin TN Realtor, Franklin MLS search, Nashville MLS search, Green Hills TN Properties for sale, Spring Hill TN Homes for sale, Belle Meade, Middle Tennessee, Music City, Stephen Strickhausen, and Keller Williams do not necessarily reflect any of the views or beliefs held by Google or it’s employees.


No comments:

Post a Comment